Upward Bound is an educational program designed to develop the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary for students to earn a two or four-year college or technical degree. High school students from low income and first generation families may be eligible for services. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education, enroll in, and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
Upward Bound services include the following:
- Academic instruction and tutoring in reading, writing, math, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school.
FREE six-week summer program which includes:
- 4 weeks of academic courses with the opportunity to earn college and/or high school credit
- 1-week residential field science trip
- A tour of Washington State Colleges
- Academic, financial, and personal counseling.
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events.
- Leadership development.
- Early career assessments, planning and exploration.
- Information on postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Assistance in completing financial aid applications.
- Researching and applying for scholarships.
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams (PSAT, SAT, ACT) and completing college applications.
Peninsula College’s Upward Bound program is 100% funded through a U.S. Department of Education five-year grant. For information, contact: Upward Bound Office at (360) 417-5694 or toll-free at 1 (877) 452-9277, ext. 5694.