Academic Transfer

Transferring from Peninsula College

Peninsula College has set its general education requirements for the Associate degrees (Direct Transfer Agreement/Major Related Programs) to conform with guidelines of the Washington Intercollege Relations Commission (ICRC) for direct transfer of these degree credits. Washington baccalaureate colleges and universities also accept these guidelines or have separate agreements with Peninsula College. Students entering with AA degrees from Peninsula College are considered to be in their junior year and to have completed the general education requirements at these baccalaureate institutions.

Meet with a Transfer Advisor as soon as possible to begin transfer planning. Visit to begin that process.

Individuals who plan to transfer from Peninsula College to a baccalaureate college or university are expected to meet the entrance requirements of that institution at the time of their transfer. You should obtain current catalogs from the institution to which you plan to transfer and study entrance requirements as well as suggested freshman- and sophomore-level courses in your major field of interest. Institutions differ in treatment of credits received with a pass grade for courses in a major field and may compute a pass grade as a “C” or “D” grade. Transfer Advising appointments are available through Student Services.

Last-minute changes in your major field of study or in your choice of baccalaureate institution may create problems in transferring. Such changes should be made only after consultation with advisors.

Peninsula College courses numbered below 100 are not transferable. Courses with titles containing the word “technical” or “technology” are not transferable to all baccalaureate institutions, but they may transfer to some of these colleges. You should work closely with faculty advisors before attempting to transfer courses that are specialized components of professional and technical education programs or listed by the Intercollege Relations Commission (ICRC) as “restricted subject area” courses. Associate in Applied Science–Transfer degrees transfer to some colleges. Work with your advisor for transferring options.

You may earn more than 90 academic hours of credit at Peninsula College, but the total number of credits accepted for transfer will be determined by the institution to which you transfer.

Students who have completed the Washington 45 requirements may be able to transfer and apply a maximum of 45 quarter credits toward general education requirement(s) at any other public and most private higher education institutions in the state. For more information about Washington 45, see the College web- site, The list of courses in Washington 45 does not replace the Direct Transfer Agreement, Associate of Science Tracks I and II, or any Major Related Program agreement, nor will it guarantee admission to a four-year institution.

Transferring Previous Credits to Peninsula College

In general, Peninsula College routinely accepts credits for college-level courses completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher education. Authority for acceptance of credits is delegated to the Credentials Evaluator.

The decision to grant transfer credit is based upon several factors, chief among them is accreditation. For transfer purposes, Peninsula College recognizes as fully accredited only those institutions that have received accreditation by one of the following associations: 

  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)

Regardless of institutional accreditation, Peninsula College does not grant credit for religion or theology courses that are sectarian in nature.

In order to have credits transferred, previous college official transcripts must be sent to Peninsula College.

In accordance with the Community and Technical College (CTC) Inter-College Reciprocity Policy, Peninsula College offers reciprocity to students transferring within the CTC system who are pursuing the Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) degree or the Associate in Science-Transfer (AS-T) degree.