ATEC 105 : Basic Automotive Engines
An ASE/NATEF course designed to familiarize the student with methods, construction, working principles, theory, and aspects used in reconditioning and servicing the internal combustion engine. Classroom theory, along with hands-on experiences utilizing precision measuring tools, torque wrenches, and machining equipment and special tools will be discussed. The theories of levers, pressure/volume, expansion, momentum, inertia, leverage, and the operation of cams are stressed.
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of an automotive technician.
- Demonstrate and discuss safe working practices.
- Demonstrate the correct use of the hand tools, power tools, and precision measuring equipment used by the automotive technician.
- Demonstrate proper component cleaning procedures.
- Demonstrate proper machine set-up and reconditioning techniques on lab projects listed on student task sheet.
- Know how to disassemble, inspect and measure assigned engine in the proper sequence.
- Demonstrate how to properly clean individual engine components.
- Demonstrate the correct assembly procedures of individual engine components.
- List and identify faults, and factory specifications of assigned engine using the NATEF worksheet.
- Demonstrate the ability to write a college level business style letter and report on the condition and recommendations of the assigned engine.
- Read with understanding in order to perform competently as an Automotive Technician.
- Convey ideas in writing in order to perform competently as an Automotive Technician.
- Communicate effectively to perform competently as an Automotive Technician.
- Use math to solve problems and communicate to fulfill responsibilities of an Automotive Technician.
- Understand the expectations of the workplace, the responsibilities of an Automotive Technician and the methods of securing employment within the field.
- Demonstrate professionalism in workplace appropriate dress and conduct.
- Demonstrate the ability to work as a productive member of a team.
- Demonstrate the ability to use technology effectively in the workplace.