ATEC 210 : Automatic Transmission & Transaxles
Fundamentals of automatic transmission operation, including methods of gear change, power flows, and basic hydraulic principles used in automatic transmissions.
2.0 or higher in ATEC 100 and ATEC 201.
- List and define automatic transmission parts and components.
- List and price parts needed for a complete transmission overhaul.
- Compute labor charges for a complete transmission overhaul.
- List and define proper service and overhaul procedures.
- Demonstrate proper transmission assembly and overhaul procedures.
- Describe proper operation of transmission modulators, TV linkage, governors, and manual linkage, and how they operate together.
- Describe clutch, bank, servo, and related operation.
- List hydraulic principles and fundamentals, including valves, and their operation to control shifting and shift points.
- List and define torque converter components, torque converter clutches, operation and testing including stall tests.
- List and define new transmission designs and component development as they become pertinent to the field.
- List and describe electronic developments pertinent to automatic transmissions.
- Read with understanding in order to perform competently as an Automotive Technician.
- Convey ideas in writing in order to perform competently as an Automotive Technician.
- Communicate effectively to perform competently as an Automotive Technician.
- Use math to solve problems and communicate to fulfill responsibilities of an Automotive Technician.
- Understand the expectations of the workplace, the responsibilities of an Automotive Technician and the methods of securing employment within the field.
- Demonstrate professionalism in workplace appropriate dress and conduct.
- Demonstrate the ability to work as a productive member of a team.
- Demonstrate the ability to use technology effectively in the workplace.