ENGL 090/091/092 : Fundamentals of English
Review of sentence structure, grammar, usage, and punctuation. Introduction to essay writing. Placement based on Accuplacer score. This class will include students from multiple sections.
- Prewrite, draft, and revise paragraphs and short essays controlled by topic sentences or thesis statements and supported by evidence.
- Reduce errors in grammar and mechanics and use a variety of sentence structures.
- Identify main ideas, supporting evidence, patterns of exposition, and transitions in assigned readings and classmates’ essays.
- Develop and apply vocabulary building skills.
- Recognize and avoid plagiarism and demonstrate an awareness of academic documentation including MLA and APA.
- Evaluate and use resources that are authoritative, accurate, unbiased, and current.
- Accept personal academic responsibility including class attendance, class participation, and prompt and thorough completion of assignments.
- Use tools of self-assessment to evaluate knowledge and skills in course outcomes.
- Demonstrate good listening skills, acknowledge different viewpoints, and respect the need to examine cultural diversity.
- Practice expressing opinions in a group setting.