GS 103 : FRESHMAN SEMINAR
Academic course to improve success of firstyear students. Stresses importance of academic learning while creating sense of belonging. Taught by faculty from a variety of disciplines. Examines factors known to improve likelihood of success among first-year students. Individuals participate in either group or individual service learning projects. (E)
- Work cooperatively and productively with others.
- Recognize the need to examine cultural and ideological diversity as well as the need to foster tolerance as a member of the college and community.
- Explore, discover, and express ideas-about themselves and the world-in a variety of forms both chosen and assigned.
- Develop and adapt a set of study, coping, and survival skills for college.
- Accept responsibility for their own learning distinguishing between "victim" and "creator" languages.
- Develop decision making strategies.
- Reduce anxiety and timidity in expressing ideas and opinions orally in a group setting.
- Use a calendar to plan and structure time for academic and personal goals.
- Identify and explain the relationship among short-term learning goals and long-term career plans.
- Identify information about Peninsula College's history, mission statement, organization, rules and regulations, people, services, and resources.
- Identify and use the helping resources of Peninsula College, including (but not limited to) Counseling Services, Student Activities, Communications Lab, Math Lab, Career Services, Library Media Center, etc.
- Identify and communicate the history and structure of American higher education.
- Identify various points of interest on campus.
- Attend and evaluate at least two on- or off-campus cultural events.
- Plan, organize, and carry out a group or individual community service project.
- Join or participate in at least one out-of-class activity.
- Conduct and write a report about a personal interview with a faculty or staff member.
- Write letters for appropriate situations such as inquiry, thank-you, professional, etc.
At a Glance
Program: General Studies