GRBD 206 : Construction Technology, Concepts and Design
Learn Construction Technology techniques and processes and how they apply modern stick framed residential and light commercial building. Design and orient a house plan. Practice advanced framing, insulation, air infiltration and material selection. Learn the United States Construction Technology Council LEED process. Explore eligibility requirements from Energy Star and Clallam Built Green.
- Students will be able to demonstrate a knowledge of the Green Building movement and what it means. They will be able to explain what Building Certification is, what certifications there are national and locally, and what may be certified.
- Students will study and gain an advanced knowledge of building science (principles of energy, heat and air flow, moisture flow, dew point and condensation, and relative humidity).
- Students will demonstrate their understanding of structure orientation, window and landscape shading, waste management, and design by designing a residential structure for a particular plot.
- Students will be able to demonstrate their knowledge of Green Building concepts, such as advanced framing, thermal bridging, and air infiltration by taking a standard set of blueprints and Greening them up by applying Green Building Techniques.
- Students will study the key components to Green Material selection and will be able to argue for and against the selection of Building Materials, based on whether or not they are Green Building Materials.