GRBD 220 : Alternative Building Methods
Class focuses on building engineered wood products into traditional stick framing as well as construction using Structurally Insulated Panels (SIPS), Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF), and other nontraditional, yet existing and allowable building methods for today’s construction industry.
- Explain and demonstrate how SIPS panels are assembled and installed on the job site.
- Select one engineered building material and describe how it could be used as an architectural or structural element, or both, in a conventionally stick framed house. Include shop drawings.
- List and explain the engineering code changes that have come into place in the past 1 0 years concerning pole building construction and describe what must be done meet these code changes.
- Construct a geodesic dome and detail the elements that make this building structure so cost efficient and sturdy.
- Design, draw, and estimate the cost of building a 400 sf exempt structure that minimizes the square footage cost.