IT 162 : Upgrading and Maintaining Your PC
Hands-on experience in building and maintaining a PC. Covers topics from the A+ essentials exam. Each student will build at least three computers and adjust hardware and software for best performance. Each student will load a variety of operating systems and applications during the class.
- Explain the roles of PC technician including protection, safety, human relations.
- Describe and demonstrate installation of system components and Peripheral devices.
- Describe and understand storage devices and managing RAID arrays and optimizing disk performance.
- Describe the network components and demonstrate network addressing and protocols.
- Explain how to select, install, configure and manage printers, and describe printer languages.
- Describe portable computing devices and how they work.
- Explain and show how to update and protect a system, manage virtual memory, system errors and system recovery.
- Explain the elements of pre-installation, installation and post installation of the Windows Operating Systems.
- Describe the location of system files, file extensions and file attributes, and the commands to manage files. Configure NTFS permissions, change file ownership, share a file, and work with offline files.
- Demonstrate the basics of securing a computer system including BIOS security, encryption, configuring firewalls, etc.