IELS 082 : Intensive English-Basic Level-Writing
This course is for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their English. The course will focus on writing and grammar skills at the low-intermediate level. This class will include students from multiple sections.
On-campus assessment in all skill areas. Non-transferable.
- Apply pre-writing techniques (such as listing and clustering) to generate ideas.
- Write about topics related to personal interests with basic fluency and control.
- Limit topics using logical subdivisions.
- Compose short paragraphs based on a topic sentence.
- Utilize basic cohesive devices (listing and sequence words).
- Utilize simple and compound sentences in writing.
- Demonstrate awareness of basic sentence structure.
- Demonstrate control over basic grammatical structures and vocabulary.
- Utilize appropriate punctuation to indicate sentence boundaries.
- Develop level-appropriate self-editing strategies (use of dictionary and spell check for spelling, proofreading for capitalization and end punctuation).
- Use basic writing and formatting conventions (punctuation, capitalization, margins, indentation, and typing).