IELS 082 : INTENSIVE ENGLISH-BASIC LEVEL-WRITING
This course is for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their English. The course will focus on writing and grammar skills at the lowintermediate level. This class will include students from multiple sections. Pre-requisite: On-campus assessment in all skill areas. Non-transferable.
- Apply pre-writing techniques (such as listing and clustering) to generate ideas.
- Write about topics related to personal interests with basic fluency and control.
- Limit topics using logical subdivisions.
- Compose short paragraphs based on a topic sentence.
- Utilize basic cohesive devices (listing and sequence words).
- Utilize simple and compound sentences in writing.
- Demonstrate awareness of basic sentence structure.
- Demonstrate control over basic grammatical structures and vocabulary.
- Utilize appropriate punctuation to indicate sentence boundaries.
- Develop level-appropriate self-editing strategies (use of dictionary and spell check for spelling, proofreading for capitalization and end punctuation).
- Use basic writing and formatting conventions (punctuation, capitalization, margins, indentation, and typing).
At a Glance
Program: Intensive English Language Studies