IELS 085 : INTENSIVE ENGLISH-INTERMEDIATE LEVELWRITING
This course is for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their English. The course will focus on writing and grammar skills at the intermediate level. This class will include students from multiple sections.
- Apply pre-writing techniques (such as free-writing, listing, clustering, outlining) to generate ideas.
- Write about topics related to personal and academic interests with intermediate fluency and control.
- Limit topics using logical subdivisions.
- Write topic sentences with a specific topic and controlling idea.
- Compose organized and developed paragraphs.
- Utilize cohesive devices appropriately.
- Compose a relevant title.
- Utilize sentence variety (simple, compound, and complex) in paragraph writing.
- Demonstrate control of basic sentence structure.
- Demonstrate control over intermediate grammatical structures and vocabulary.
- Utilize appropriate punctuation to indicate sentence boundaries.
- Apply guided peer, self-revision and editing strategies to improve earlier drafts.
- Understand concepts of intellectual property and academic honesty.
- Recognize plagiarism and how to avoid it.
- Use standard writing and formatting conventions (punctuation, capitalization, margins, indentation, and typing).
At a Glance
On-campus assessment in all skill areas or successful completion of IELS 082. Nontransferable.
Program: Intensive English Language Studies