PE 117 : Hiking
Four one-day hikes, one overnight hike. Transportation provided to hiking destinations. Emphasis on equipment, preparation, and techniques. Some equipment provided. (E)
- Selection, fitting and care of boots; avoiding and treating blisters.
- Selection of proper clothing; necessity of rain gear.
- The "ten essentials," how to make an emergency bivouac.
- Establishing a comfortable camp.
- Route finding; use of map and compass.
- Wilderness emergencies; what to do if lost, injured, or if a party member requires evacuation.