PHYS& 114L : GENERAL PHYSICS I WITH LAB
Basic principles of physics presented without use of calculus. Suitable for students majoring in technically oriented fields other than engineering or the physical sciences. Mechanics. (NS)
- Describe, explain, and use concepts of one-dimensional motion to solve 1-d motion problems.
- Describe, explain, and use concepts of momentum and energy (and their associated conservation laws), along with Galilean relativity in solving complex motion problems, including collisions between objects.
- Describe, explain, and use Newton's laws with the concept of forces in explaining everyday phenomena, as well as solving dynamics problems, including work-related problems.
- Describe and explain movement in a plane versus rotational motion and be able to translate linear kinematics and dynamics to angular kinematics and dynamics to solve problems in an accelerated reference frame.
- Carry out and interpret experiments in the laboratory to answer mechanics-related questions during lab, as well as on assessments.
At a Glance
Eligibility for ENGL& 101; MATH 098/099 or equivalent high school mathematics. Recommended: Working knowledge of algebra and trigonometry; one year high school physics.