Systems approach to the study of selected roots, prefixes, and suffixes; principles of word building; study of diagnostic, operative, and symptomatic terms of body systems. Emphasis on accurate spelling and pronunciation of all medical terms. Strong component of the course is related to common medical abbreviations, selected eponyms, clinical laboratory procedures, and radiology procedures with associated terminology for each body system. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Identify and apply the rules of building medical terms.
- Spell and pronounce medical terms correctly.
- Explore and distinguish medical terminology as it relates to the different body systems.
- Explore common terms associated with pathological conditions and procedures by body system.
- List common medical abbreviations associated with different body systems.