An introductory course focusing on expressive and receptive language skills, covering the beginning fundamental principles of American Sign Language (ASL). Introduces basic information and Deaf history, the Deaf community, and Deaf culture. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Elective)
- Demonstrate the basic expressive and receptive functions in ASL.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of essential basic vocabulary to the specific situations.
- Demonstrate the expressive basic skills of narrating such as telling or summarizing short stories, utilizing ASL grammatical features.
- Demonstrate proper use of particular language functions (responding to questions or statements appropriately, commanding, requesting, agreeing, etc.) and responds appropriately when conversation partner uses these functions.
- Identify the behaviors appropriate to Deaf culture through social and language functions.