ASTR& 100 : SURVEY OF ASTRONOMY
Introduction to the universe, with emphasis on conceptual, as contrasted with mathematical, comprehension. Modern theories and observations; ideas concerning nature and evolution of galaxies; quasars, stars, black holes, planets, and solar system. (NS)
- Describe and explain why we have seasons, tides, see phases of the Moon, and how our geocentric model of the universe came to be.
- Describe and explain Newton's laws (motion and gravity), and how we can understand the universe using light.
- Describe and explain the formation of the solar system and planets, the characteristics of the terrestrial and Jovian planets, and the methods of discovery and classification of extra-solar planets.
- Describe and explain the birth, life, and death processes of stars, and their remains.
- Describe and explain the birth and evolution of galaxies, and the birth of the universe, including dark matter and the effects of dark energy we see today.
- Identify the constellations visible from the northern hemisphere and relate some of the mythology of them.
At a Glance