Designed to present operations management tools that can be used to develop a competitive advantage in commercial environments. Topics will be studied using an operations management framework: Introduction to operations management thinking, strategic and operational planning, ethical issues, organizational controls and tools, risk management, and the role of technology in operations management. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Identify and apply the various elements that comprise the field of operations management (OM).
- Critique new and evolving concepts within OM.
- Select and use OM tools and concepts that can be applied to a wide variety of situations, including non-OM related areas.
- Analyze the relationship between OM and other management functions within an organization.
- Develop a strategy to use OM tools in solving common manufacturing and service industries operations.