This class introduces students to the beginning carpentry phases of conventional stick frame residential and light commercial construction. Learn International Building Codes as they apply to foundations and framing. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Formerly GRBD 106)
- Students will be able to demonstrate a basic understanding of blueprint reading and the IBC (International Building Code).
- Students will be able to explain the construction of typical stem wall and monolithic foundation systems as well as explain the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Students will be able to properly demonstrate the layout of walls on a subfloor and be able to use the proper equipment and techniques to check for square, level, and plumb.
- Students will be able to work together, as a crew would on a jobsite, to frame floors, wall, and ceilings.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to frame the rough openings for windows and doors in exterior and interior walls.