Overview of the juvenile justice system covering due process requirements of each phase of the process. Also examines theories behind delinquency causation and discusses treatment modalities and programs. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Elective)
- Understand the nature and purposes of the juvenile justice system.
- Understand the reasons for the development of juvenile court.
- Understand how the juvenile court functions.
- Understand the philosophical basis for the juvenile court.
- Understand the limitations of the juvenile court and the reasons for those limitations.
- Understand the correctional process of the juvenile justice system and its integration into the adult correctional system.
- Understand the current issues in the field of juvenile justice and trends for the future.