Substantive criminal law applied to crime prevention and control activities in criminal justice. Examines definitions, classifications, grades, prohibitions, and punishments ascribed to criminal law through statutes and case law. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Elective)
- Explain what makes an act or omission a crime.
- Explain Mens Rea.
- Define the difference between General Intent and Specific Intent.
- Explain the Violence Against Women Act.
- Discuss the difference between Church and State.
- Explain what a Grand Jury is and its functions today.
- Explain the history of the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.