Provides an overview of the types and purposes of police patrol, including vehicle patrol and routing patrol procedures, mediation, and management of crisis situations. Emphasis is placed on citizen protection, crime prevention, and identification and apprehension of suspects. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Explain the role of the field officer in the overall scheme of law enforcement.
- Describe how a police or sheriff's department is organized and managed in the 21st Century.
- Recount a brief history of police patrol in the United States.
- Discuss the basic objectives of police patrol.
- List and explain the basic patrol activities.
- Explain the decision-making process in deployment of resources.
- Discuss the importance of ethical conduct and integrity of the law enforcement professional.