Philosophical foundations of moral and ethical theory, doctrines, and controversies for understanding the necessity for practicing good moral and ethical judgment when performing criminal justice duties. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Define the term ethics and explain its application in the criminal justice system.
- Examine the philosophical foundations of ethical theory and list the major theories and theorists.
- Define the term ethics and describe the nature and sources of ethics.
- Trace the historical origins of ethics and describe its development.
- Explain how constitutional provisions serve as a source of ethics.
- Explain the role of law as a source of ethics.
- Describe the purpose of a professional code of ethics in criminal justice and explain why it is important to attach ethics to the issue of professionalism.