EDUC 206 : ISSUES OF CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT
Insights into child abuse and neglect within a family system. Identify types of abuse and signs and symptoms of victims. Mandated reporting requirements consistent with WAC 180-78-165 for educators, caregivers, and youth workers. STARS approved.
- Define the legal definition of abuse and neglect and explain the state statues regarding responsibilities in reporting.
- Recognize signs of abuse and neglect and describe ways to work effectively with children who have experienced maltreatment.
- Identify characteristics of a potential abuser and list behaviors which might be indicators of maltreatment.
- Describe the mandated reporter’s role in reporting suspected abuse and neglect.
- Describe the steps in reporting suspected maltreatment.
- Explain and discuss factors that could lead to child abuse and neglect and how to prevent it.
- Research local community resources that support people who have experienced maltreatment.
At a Glance