GRBD 215 : Carpentry Estimation
This class will cover practices for successful cost estimation of residential and light commercial construction. Students will conduct material ‘take offs’ then put their skill to use, estimating materials such as lumber, roofing, windows, doors, permits applications, professional fees for architects and engineers, waste, time, and overhead.
- Estimate the costs associated with the construction of residential and light commercial construction.
- Calculate board feet, square and cubic feet and yards and convert from inches to feet to yards as well as figuring the cost associated with quantities verse single items.
- Using blueprints or drawings, students will accurately estimate the quantity of materials, including waste, to complete the project at hand.
- Identify hidden components that fall into the general category of overhead (gas, hours at night, wear and tear on equipment, license, bond, and insurance, etc.) and how to bed on those items.
- Describe the importance of accuracy and the costs associated with over and underbidding.