This course will prepare students to support emergency management public information operations, including integration with a Joint Information System, use of a Joint Information Center, coordination with on-scene public information officers, use of alert and warning systems, emergency and routine information distribution (including media and social media), and ensuring appropriate messaging for the whole community. This class may include students from multiple sections.
2.0 or higher in HSEM 102 or concurrent enrollment
- List and describe characteristics and responsibilities that make an effective public information officer.
- Describe guidelines for department policies, which guide public information functions.
- Describe purpose, elements, and roles in a joint information system/joint information system.
- Describe various types of alert and warning systems.
- Identify access and functional needs that must be addressed in public messaging.
- Create messages that are appropriate for specific audiences and platforms.