This course will focus on methods and procedures for involving volunteers in emergency management programs, with the goal of maximizing the effectiveness of volunteer resources by implementing a people-oriented system that addresses defining volunteer roles, designing a plan of action, recruiting volunteers, training individuals who volunteer, and motivation and maintenance of a successful program. The role of spontaneous and/or unaffiliated volunteers in the disaster response process will also be addressed. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Correlate the skills and knowledge required of volunteers in emergency management programs.
- Determine how volunteers can be used more beneficially to meet an agency's needs.
- Analyze the steps in developing a volunteer program.
- Develop a volunteer policy and job description.
- Outline strategies for recruiting, retaining, assigning, training, supervising, and evaluating volunteers.
- Analyze the role of volunteers and voluntary agencies in providing emergency assistance.
- Describe methods that will ensure cultural humility and equity in managing volunteers in a diverse community.