HSEM 102 : INTRODUCTION TO EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Provides groundwork on which emergency services can build a strong foundation for disaster and emergency management for homeland security in the 21st century. Addresses issues, policies, questions, best practices, and lessons learned through recent years; requirements of NFPA® 1600, Standard on Emergency Management and exposure to new and developing theories, practices, and technology in emergency management.
- Identify and define essential elements of an effective emergency management program.
- Identify and define the many roles, responsibilities and functions of the professional emergency manager.
- Analyze the requirements of National Fire Protection Association 1600 standard and other national programs.
- Identify and research questions regarding existing and emergent laws, regulations, and legal principles as applied in the context of emergency and disaster management.
- Describe the actions taken in hazard identification.
- Examine and analyze the actions taken when planning for incident prevention and hazard mitigation.
- Describe basic components of mutual aid systems.
- Provide an overview of characteristics of disasters and their impact on population, infrastructure, and emergency management systems.
- Explore and describe the components of an emergency plan and principles that guide the planning process.
- Summarize emergency management field operations using incident management systems and the role of emergency operations centers in directing disaster response.
- Analyze compliance requirements for emergency communications and warnings.
- Examine and describe key elements to consider in emergency management exercise and evaluation.
- Summarize requirements for crisis communications and public information systems.
- Analyze how an Emergency Operation Center is managed, organized and activated.
- Evaluate written emergency management and continuity plans.
- Examine fiscal aspects to emergency management programs that should be considered, evaluated and implemented.
At a Glance