Provides the groundwork on which students can build a strong foundation for healthcare related disaster and emergency management. Addresses issues, policies, questions, best practices, and lessons learned through recent years; standards on healthcare emergency management and business continuity, and exposure to new and developing theories, practices, and technology in healthcare emergency management. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Identify and define essential elements of an effective healthcare emergency management program.
- Identify and define the role of CMS and other bodies of law for healthcare emergency management.
- Describe the role of accreditation in healthcare emergency management.
- Examine best practices for hazard identification and emergency planning for healthcare.
- Describe basic components of a Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP) for a hospital.
- Examine the role of business continuity in healthcare and the relationship of business continuity to emergency management.