Overview of the socio-cultural, ecological, economic and community impacts of ecotourism. Explore ecoguide certification and sustainable dimensions of ecotourism from the perspective of conservation. Students will examine ecotourism governance and policy and create an ecotourism program plan. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Describe the socio-cultural, ecological, economic and community impacts of Ecotourism on public and protected areas.
- Compare and contrast Ecotourism with conventional tourism.
- Identify core indicators of sustainable tourism such as site protection, social impact, critical ecosystems and local economy.
- Discuss the nature-based foundation of Ecotourism as an alternative to conventional mass tourism.
- Apply strategies for sustainable Ecotourism in the development of an Ecotourism program plan.