IS 101 : Understanding the Humanities
Introduction to a range of artistic and intellectual expressions of what it means to be human. Areas explored may include architecture, dance, film, language, literature, music, painting, philosophy, photography, sculpture, and/ or theater. Discussion of these expressions, themes and styles, as well as their cultural, historical, and theoretical contexts. (H)
- Identify and describe major forms of artistic and intellectual expression.
- Explain the history of the forms of expression, their principle elements and styles, and some of their best known examples.
- Discuss how the forms of expression affect human identity formation and emotional development.
- Explain how the forms of expression enhance the understanding of humanity’s social and cultural development.
- Discuss the value of diversity in the forms of expression.