IS 105 : Popular Culture
Historical as well as cross-cultural study of popular literary and nonliterary texts, such as novels, magazines, comic books, films, television shows, advertisements, social media, superhero tales, music videos, and fashion trends. Focus on popular myths, icons, heroes, and/ or rituals that have affected peoples’ lives and attitudes. (H)
- Explain what culture and popular culture are.
- Discuss the values, practices, behaviors, norms, and expectations of cultures.
- Discuss the structure and development of popular culture.
- Identify how people consume popular culture.
- Discuss the influence popular culture has on the identity of the individual, the community, the nation, and the world.
- Discuss the larger cultural trends in modern American society.
- Analyze the complexity of cultural texts, and analyze what the authors are communicating and how these texts relate to one's own beliefs and experiences.
- Explain how the medium and genre of a text influences its meaning.