IELS 081 : INTENSIVE ENGLISH-BASIC LEVEL-READING
This course is for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their English. The course will focus on reading comprehension and vocabulary development at the low-intermediate level. This class will include students from multiple sections. Pre-requisite: On-campus assessment in all skill areas. Non-transferable.
- Use a monolingual learner dictionary to identify word stress, word form, and word.
- Develop vocabulary knowledge through identifying common stems and affixes, word form and word families.
- Apply knowledge of grammar, punctuation, word parts and context clues to make guesses of target vocabulary of basic- level reading passages.
- Apply pre-reading strategies to activate schemata and predict content of basic texts.
- Identify topic sentences and main ideas and sequence of events in basic ESL texts.
- Identify transition signals to determine patterns of organization in basic ESL texts.
- Compose a controlled summary of 3-5 sentences which states the topic and main ideas from a short basic level ESL reading paragraph.
- Identify the setting, main events, climax and resolution of ESL readers at the basic level.
- Compose a controlled summary of the text in writing.
- Respond verbally and in writing, to basic level texts by drawing connections between personal experiences and/or world knowledge to the assigned text.
At a Glance
Program: Intensive English Language Studies