IELS 084 : INTENSIVE ENGLISH-INTERMEDIATE LEVELREADING
This course is for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their English. The course will focus on reading comprehension and vocabulary development at the intermediate level. This course is for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their English. This class will include students from multiple sections.
- Use a monolingual learner dictionary to determine pronunciation, word form, and word meaning.
- Develop vocabulary knowledge through basic knowledge of stems/affixes, synonyms, word families.
- Apply knowledge of grammar, punctuation, word parts and context clues to make informed guesses of target vocabulary of intermediate level reading passages.
- Apply pre-reading strategies to activate schemata and predict content of intermediate texts.
- Identify topic sentences and main ideas; discern major from minor details in intermediate-level texts.
- Identify transition signals to determine patterns of organization in intermediate ESL textbooks.
- Compose a guided summary of 8-12 sentences which paraphrases the topic sentence, main ideas, and major details from a short, intermediate level ESL academic reading paragraph.
- Identify the setting, main events, climax and resolution of intermediate fictional texts.
- Compose a simple summary and critique of intermediate fictional texts.
- Respond thoughtfully, verbally and in writing, to intermediate level texts by drawing connections between personal experiences and/or world knowledge to the assigned texts.
At a Glance
On-campus assessment in all skill areas or successful completion of IELS 081. Nontransferable.
Program: Intensive English Language Studies