IELS 087 : Intensive English-High Intermediate Level-Read
This course is for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their English. The course will focus on academic reading and vocabulary skills at the high-intermediate level.
On-campus assessment in all skill areas or successful completion of IELS 084. Non- transferable.
- Competently and independently use a monolingual learner dictionary.
- Develop vocabulary knowledge through intermediate knowledge of stems/affixes, synonyms, word families.
- Apply knowledge of grammar, punctuation, word parts and context clues to make informed guesses of target vocabulary of academic texts.
- Apply pre- and during reading strategies to a variety of academic texts.
- Identify and articulate main ideas, both stated and inferred, and important details in academic, journalistic, and literary prose at the high-intermediate level.
- Annotate effectively for active reading and increased comprehension and retention.
- Identify transition signals and cohesive devices to identify patterns of organization and important ideas.
- Distinguish fact from opinion in level-appropriate texts.
- Compose a summary of high-intermediate level text in which the main ideas and major details are accurately paraphrased.
- Identify the setting, main events, climax, resolution and theme of high-intermediate level fictional texts.
- Summarize and critique high-intermediate-level fictional texts using textual support.
- Respond thoughtfully and critically, verbally and in writing, to high-intermediate texts by drawing connections between personal experiences, world knowledge and/or other readings to the assigned text.