MATH& 141 : Precalculus I
Analysis of linear, quadratic, polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, rational, and radical functions and their graphs; linear and nonlinear inequalities; systems of equations; and matrices. This class will include students from multiple sections. (QS, NS)
P (2.0 or higher) in MATH 098/099 or MATH& 148 or equivalent.
A student who successfully completes this class with a grade of 2.0 or better should be able to:
- State the concept of a function algebraically, numerically, graphically, and verbally.
- Use function notation to evaluate functions.
- Perform the algebra of functions including composition
- Find equations of lines.
- Read and interpret graphs of functions.
- Graph basic functions using transformations.
- Evaluate and graph piecewise functions.
- Perform the algebra of functions including composition.
- Solve quadratic equations and inequalities.
- Find the vertex of a quadratic function.
- Find the extrema of functions given their graphs.
- Describe the end behavior of a polynomial function.
- Find real and complex zeros of a polynomial function.
- Determine intervals where a function is increasing, decreasing, and constant
- Graph a rational function by finding all asymptotes and intercepts.
- Solve rational equations and inequalities.
- Find the inverse of a function.
- Use the properties of logarithms to simplify or solve exponential and logarithmic expressions and equations.