Military and Prior Learning Credits

Academic Credit for Prior Learning
Peninsula College accepts equivalency credit awarded by approved testing methods which reflect previous training, private study, work completed at other institutions, or other bona fide qualifications that indicate the student has knowledge or abilities equivalent to those learned by taking a course.

Methods of assessment include but are not limited to:

  • Credit by Testing (AP, CAPE, CI, CLEP, DSST, IB, DSST, etc. See the College website at for a full listing)
  • Credit by Extra-institutional learning (Military and Industry Training)
  • Credit by Challenge Exam
  • Credit by Prior Experiential Learning (Portfolio)

No more than 25% of required credits for a degree or certificate may be satisfied by credits granted for prior learning. Credit for approved equivalency is posted to your transcript with a pass (P) grade which does not affect the GPA.

For more information regarding Academic Credit for Prior Learning visit, email or call (360) 417-6340.

Military Credits
When military courses are directly related to your program of study at Peninsula College, it is possible for credit to be awarded toward a specific degree or certificate. However, some such courses might not be applicable to a program's graduation requirements, and in that case no credit would be awarded. Official documentation of military courses and requests for evaluation of credit are submitted to Pirate Central via email at or by calling (360) 417-6340.

Advanced Placement Credit
Peninsula College awards advanced standing to entering students based upon levels of performance on the advanced placement (AP) examinations administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. AP scores are related to specific course equivalencies in a crosswalk approved by the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges. An official transcript of the AP scores must be received from the College Board to receive credit. For more information regarding advanced placement credit contact the Student Services Office at or call (360) 417-6340.