MUSC 136-138, 236-238 : Jazz Ensemble I, II, III, IV, V, Vi
Study jazz styles through performance of jazz literature. Emphasis on development of improvisational techniques. Course is contingent upon availability of qualified students. This class will include students from multiple sections. (P, E)
- Demonstrate improvement of skills in the following areas: music reading, improvisation, jazz theory, rhythmic concepts, and transposition (all).
- Perform a repertoire of jazz tunes and standards (through reading and memorization) drawn from the works of Billy Strayhorn, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock and popular songwriters such as Jerome Kern and Richard Rodgers (all).
- Play and sing the melodies and improvise on this repertoire as well as knowing the harmony (all).
- Perform the appropriate rhythm section role (comping) while others are soloing or playing the melody (rhythm section).
- Demonstrate appropriate concert etiquette/behavior during the scheduled performances. This will include: preparation of music, preparation of instruments/accessories as appropriate, showing up on time for all rehearsals and concerts (all).