Forest ecosystems are homes to millions of plant and animal species. Students will learn native tree species and explore factors that influence forest composition, disturbance-succession cycles, biodiversity, and transformation of forest habitats. Class focuses on natural ecosystems of the Olympic Peninsula. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Discuss ecosystems and the tools used to analyze them
- Compare and contrast the main branches of ecosystem science
- Define ecological energetics and biogeochemistry
- Discuss sustainable natural ecosystems initiatives
- Define and summarize the cycles disturbance succession
- List causes of ecosystem disturbances
- Analyze the interrelationships between humans and natural ecosystems