Introduction to timber harvesting, laws, policies, practices, contract preparation and administration, measurement, appraisal, logging systems, and forest road engineering. Learn how forestry operations and roads are an essential part of a well-managed forest. Class includes application of the Forest Practices Act and standards for timber harvesting. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Identify timber harvesting systems and equipment
- Locate and interpret timber harvesting and forest road policies, laws, and practices
- Describe the Washington State Forest Practices Act (FPA) standards for timber harvesting, pre-commercial thinning, road construction, and safety
- Demonstrate the use of forest tools to measure and calculate forest metrics, basal area, and relative density for use in timber appraisals
- Identify and map proper road design and location for forest operations