Learn essential research and writing skills, that include identifying key facts, issue spotting, analysis and counter analysis, traditional and online research, secondary authorities and citating. Apply writing principles for writing legal briefs and memoranda. This class may include students from multiple sections.
- Define legal research, legal analysis, and law.
- Summarize the history of the U.S. legal system.
- Describe the 4-step process of legal research and the analysis process.
- Identify the legal issue(s) presented by the fact situation.
- Analyze the process used to determine if a court opinion applies to a legal question.
- Discover the counterargument to a legal position or argument.
- Identify secondary legal research sources.
- Apply legal principles to the drafting of legal research memoranda, court briefs, and legal correspondence.
- Summarize the rules of citing legal resources in documents prepared for filing in court or for use in a law office.