PHIL& 120 : Symbolic Logic
Introduction to first-order symbolic logic. Topics include symbolizing, truth tables, truth trees, proofs for sentence and predicate logic with identity, conditional and indirect proof, and invalidating interpretations. (QS, NS)
P (2.0 or higher) in MATH 090/091 or equivalent.
- Define the concepts of truth, validity, and soundness.
- Symbolize truth-functional sentences using symbolic notation.
- Using truth-tables and the truth-tree method for assessing validity.
- Construct proofs using the rules of propositional logic.
- Apply the methods of conditional and indirect proof.
- Symbolize quantified, predicate, and relational sentences using symbolic notation.
- Construct proofs using the rules of predicate logic.
- Providing interpretations to establish invalidity.