PHYS& 221L : Engineering Physics I
Basic principles of mechanics and experiments in mechanics for physical science and engineering majors. (NS)
Eligibility for ENGL& 101; MATH& 151 or taken concurrently.
one year high school physics.
- Describe, explain, and use concepts of one-dimensional motion to solve 1-d motion problems.
- Describe, explain, and use concepts of momentum and energy (and their associated conservation laws), along with Galilean relativity in solving complex motion problems, including collisions between objects.
- Describe, explain, and use the concept of forces in explaining everyday phenomena, as well as solving dynamics problems, including work-related problems.
- Describe and explain movement in a plane versus rotational motion and be able to translate linear kinematics and dynamics to angular kinematics and dynamics to solve problems in an accelerated reference frame.
- Design, carry out, and interpret experiments in the laboratory to answer mechanics-related questions during lab, as well on assessments.