SOCSI 101 : CONTEMPORARY GLOBAL ISSUES
Introductory course to develop the analytical skills necessary to understand major developments in the contemporary world and to provide the basis for more advanced study in the field of world politics. The course deepens students’ understanding of globalization and the need for common solutions to global problems that transcend borders. Topics explored include human rights, terrorism, global inequality, the environment, population and migration, global crime and disease. This class will include students from multiple sections. (SS)
- Understand and discuss—both verbally and in written form—major issues and problems confronting the world today.
- Understand and be able to communicate how these issues affect the global commons, i.e., all societies and peoples everywhere, and the common future faced by humankind.
- Develop a clear understanding of what globalization is and how it links the fates of nations and individuals in the world.
- Apply basic concepts and theories to real-life events and problems.
- Think critically and analytically about these issues and be able to form your own judgment regarding them.
At a Glance
Program: Social Sciences