SOC 115 : UNDERSTANDING DIVERSITY
Examines elements that create differences within society and exposes learners to a variety of cultural ideas that will lead to a better understanding of people who are different. Culture, ethnicity, lifestyle, religion, disabilities, age, and gender issues will be examined. (SS)
- Distinguish between difference and inequality.
- Evaluate the sociological perspectives on racial, ethnic, and religious groups in the United States.
- Explain the social construction of inequality by race, ethnicity and religious groups.
- Analyze the stereotypes, images, prejudices, and behaviors regarding racial, ethnic and religious groups.
- Compare and contrast the similarities and differences in the experience of selected racial, ethnic and religious groups in the United States.
- Analyze the important issues related to diverse population groups in the United States.
- Evaluate the current indicators of discriminatory practices against diverse populations in the United States.
At a Glance