HSSA 115 : Counseling I
Familiarization with skills commonly used for individual and family counseling. Includes attending, paraphrasing, reflecting feelings, summarizing, probing, self-disclosure, interpreting, and confrontation.
HSSA 101& and HSSA 105 or permission of instructor.
- Identify eight basic counseling skills.
- Define the ten therapeutic counselor characteristics.
- Define therapeutic criteria of counseling environment.
- Identify traits of self-actualized counselor.
- Summarize the grief process.
- Demonstrate knowledge of counseling skills through utilization.