BIOL& 100 : Survey of Biology
Introduction to the structural and functional characteristics of life. Surveys the evolutionary, ecological, cellular, and genetic biology of living organisms. This class will include students from multiple sections. (NS)
Eligibility for both ENGL& 101 and MATH 090/091.
- Identify and use fundamental biochemical principles to explain life processes and structure.
- Explain common life processes of metabolism, photosynthesis, and homeostasis.
- Use fundamental genetic principles to explain inheritance, biodiversity and evolution.
- Describe general features of organisms across taxonomic ranks including domain, kingdom, phylum and common classes.
- Apply fundamental ecological principles to explain biological diversity, ecosystem processes, and human effects on ecosystem processes.
- Practice common fundamental methods of scientific inquiry such as observation; hypothesis creation; simple study design; development and implementation of study protocols; data collection and analysis; drawing conclusions; and communicating scientific findings.