Learn how to propagate native plants for local restoration projects. Through hands on training, students will propagate native plants from seed and live cuttings. Plants produced for this class will be used for various revegetation projects on the Olympic Peninsula. BOT 101 recommended but not required. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Elective)
- Understand the complexities of running a native plant nursery.
- Describe basic seed ecology including seed dispersal mechanisms, seed dormancies and types of fruiting bodies common in the Pacific Northwest. Apply that knowledge to a novel assignment.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify native species for seed collection.
- Demonstrate specific seed and fruit preparation techniques correctly and apply them to specific plant types.
- Assess the quality of various references and will synthesize information from various sources into cohesive written products. Students will be able to distinguish credible and current resources from less reliable ones.