For individuals with little or no chemistry background. Atomic nature of matter, chemical bonding, periodic table, chemical reactions, phases of matter, solutions, equilibrium, reaction rates, and nuclear reactions. Includes laboratory. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Natural Sciences with Lab, Elective)
Completion of MATH 90/91 or higher; eligibility for ENGL& 101
- Communication - Distinguish between opinions, interpretations, and solid evidence with regard to chemical systems.
- Quantitative Reasoning - Apply quantitative methods to characterize physical and chemical changes (phases, kinetics, reactions, and equilibrium).
- Information - Utilize the scientific method to explore chemical systems.
- Critical Thinking - Describe chemical systems in terms of structural composition and changes.
- Personal & Interpersonal - Define chemistry as a scientific study of matter and its impact on society and everyday life.