CMST 209 : Editing Stories & Images
The editing class will engage students in the discipline of editing text and images for publication. News copy desk operations will be introduced, including headline writing, dummying, page design, pagination, creating news graphics, photo cropping, photo editing, and photo packaging. (H)
ENGL& 101 and either CMST207 or CMST208 or permission of instructor.
- Apply critical thinking skills.
- Articulate ideas in speech and writing via news reports and narrative stories.
- Edit information that is gathered using a variety of traditional and electronic resources, including software that paginates text and visuals together on a page.
- Identify and target audience interest values.
- Learn a variety of interviewing techniques. Work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff.
- Recognize the differences between fact and opinion. Learn to edit this content appropriately in the context of expository fashion for news reports and narrative stories.
- Edit personal work and that of others in a professional and collaborative style.
- Begin to understand and facilitate publication production.
- Begin to understand the multiple means and manners of leadership.
- Display proficiency in principles of design for text and visuals.