ECED& 180 : Language and Literacy Development
Teaching strategies for language acquisition and literacy skill development are examined at each developmental stage (birth-age 8) through the four interrelated areas of speaking, listening, writing, and reading. This class will include students from multiple sections. STARS approved.
- Explain the continuum of language acquisition and early literacy skills.
- Develop evidence-based, appropriate environments and opportunities that support children’s emergent language and literacy skills.
- Describe strategies for responding to children who are culturally, linguistically, and ability diverse.
- Develop ways to facilitate family and child interactions as primary contexts for heritage language and English development.
- Analyze images of culture and individual abilities reflected in children’s literature and other learning materials.
- Utilize developmentally appropriate and culturally responsive assessment practices for documenting the growth of language and literacy skills.